One thing we never hear is, “I hate my hot tub in the spring.” Let’s face it, spring is wonderful, and if you are a lucky hot tub owner, spring is one of the best times to sit in the warmth and peace of a hot tub and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells. Let’s get your hot tub ready with three quick maintenance reminders.
Spring Hot Tub Maintenance: Sight, Sound, Smell
Three things to remember in the spring are sight, sound, and smell. How does this relate to your hot tub maintenance? You want all three to be in harmony to produce the ultimate outdoor experience.
Take a walk around your tub. How does it look? This is one time when looks matter.
- Hot Tub Skirt: Does the hot tub skirt show wear and tear, or is it just dirty? You want to take care of any issues before they become something you cannot manage or that could cause damage to your hot tub. A quick rinse with the hose may be sufficient. Use a soft surface sponge or brush to remove more stubborn debris. If it looks worse, consult A-1 Pools to have it looked at.
- Cover: When was the last time you cleaned your cover? There are products made specifically for hot tub covers. Use one of these and not just any cleaner, as some can harm the cover surface. Did it get too much damage over the winter? Is it leaking warm air or getting heavy to lift? It could be time to replace it. A-1 Pools can get a new one ordered.
- Water: How does the water look? It should be clear. If it is not, use test strips and test your water or bring a sample to A-1 Pools for a water test. You may need to add chemicals. If you just did, or that does not work, it may be time for a drain and refill. A-1 Pools can help you with both.
- Soap Scum: Is there a ring-around-the-tub line from soap scum? It can happen from detergents in your swimsuit and products on your skin and hair. A quick rinse in the shower before you get in will help next time. For now, a wipe with a Magic Eraser or Scumbug™ works great.
- Filters: What is the condition of your filters? Take them out and give them a thorough soak in a filter cleaner made specifically for hot tub filters. If you only have one set, it is convenient to get a second set to use while you clean the other.
It is time to listen. Your hot tub can tell you what it needs to run properly. While you might not know its tune, our service team will.
- Does it sound louder than it used to? Listen to the jets, the cleaning cycle, and the waterfall. Does any of it sound different?
- Listen for any squeaks, groans, and moans. The words sound funny, but your hot tub will not be running right if you actually hear any.
A hot tub should have no smell or a fragrant aroma if you use aromatherapy products. It should never have a sour or foul smell. What an easy way to ruin a relaxing soak.
- Open the cover and take in the immediate smell. Is it “off?”
- Smell it again after it sits open for 10 minutes.
- Turn on the jets and smell a third time.
If any of those three smell sessions produced an unpleasant scent, you should investigate further.
- Cover: Your cover can absorb odors from the chemicals and the water. To help, be sure to leave the cover off for the recommended time when you add chemicals. If you have a hardcover, you may be able to clean the underside. If it is a soft cover and the smell has permeated the fabric, it may be time for a replacement.
- Water: As in the Sight section, the same suggestions apply to smell. A dose of chemicals, a good cleaning, or a complete drain and refill will take care of the problem. A-1 Pools recommends a drain and refill three times a year, and spring is a must.
Hot Tub Maintenance to the Rescue
With just a little time and effort, your hot tub will be ready for relaxing in spring. If hot tub maintenance is not on your “To Do” list, or if you have questions, it is time to contact the A-1 Pools service department. We can perform a full spring diagnostic, or individual services to take care of all your spring hot tub cleaning needs. We will get you relaxing in no time.